Friday, April 24, 2009

ANTAGONIST FEATURE - TodayWithKJ.Com


If you haven’t heard of artist/producer Antagonist then you better google him - this guy is for real. This emerging artist/producer has proven that he has what it takes to help bring hip hop back on it’s feet. For years now, the industry have been struggling and starving for new talent - but there is one problem! Where is the talent? Many producers and labels have been eating off the talents of Lil Wayne, T.I. and other southern artists with catchy cliches, but they have failed to look into the deep swamps of Florida. But make no mistake the Californian artist Antagonist is no stranger to the music industry, because he has a decorated resume of a emerging producer, but has carried his roots to Florida creating a popular production house named, Califlorida Productions. And if talent was not enough to add to this incredible artist - he also mix his hardcore street knowledge of Cali with his smooth articulate rhymes with the best in Florida.

For years I have shared my professional opinions with music industry reps and I tell you now - “Antagonist” is a rising a star. His lyrics are being chanting overseas and he has collaborated with one of the best producers in UK - DJ Ames, an SEA Award winner producer. Together Ant and DJ Ames has created a powerful highly anticipated album entitled, “International.” I spent several hours listening to some of these tracks on youtube.com and the guy caught my respect and I will follow these guys to the top. These two explosive producers are expected to release nothing less than the bomb tracks and they both have proved this thus far.

Antagonist has a style to me that is similar to hip hop star, T-Pain - but he also has this rock element about him and is more versatile. He is definitely not stuck in one style and proves it. Not taking any credit from T-pain, because I dig the guy, but Ant gives that plus more with serious lyrics. The industry asked, “What happened to the real lyricist in the industry?” Antagonist has the answer.

If bringing on the mic is not enough - get this! The guy is a songwriter, producer, engineer, businessman, you want me to keep going? Ceo, artist, mixer, entrepenuer - what else can he do? One of the problems the hip hop industry has had for years is keeping artists out of jail and off the streets. Worry no more, because these guys are serious about business. I have to give deep pocket respect for the hustle, because I know the struggle. Two guys collabin’ like this - leaves the whole word in trouble. The boys can bubble and that’s real - get ready for “International’ and show some love for Antagonist and DJ Ames. Keep checking back for updates on Antagonist, because I’m gonna cover every move they make and keep you guys in the loop - Because I know music. Holla back.

LIVE Interview with CaliFlorida’s own “ANTAGONIST” •April 24, 2009 •


KJ: What’s up, man? First of all – you are a jack-of-all-trades in the music industry, you produced, master, engineer, write and perform –plus you’re a businessman. What inspired you to get in the music industry – producing, performing, etc?
Antagonist: Music has always been in my blood since day one. I started out playing piano when I was about 6 years old. I hated the structured training that young though, so I just began to play around and make sounds. That grew into learning guitar, drums, and ultimately vocals. It’s just something that’s in me, that I’ve always felt I was MEANT to do.

KJ: I understand that you have been producing for several years now, how is it producing on the East Coast versus West Coast- and was this transition a tough one – considering that the styles are totally different?

Antagonist: That’s a great question KJ. What I really felt different about the two mainly is the attitude towards music making. Cali is more grass-roots. What I mean by that is that a lot of cats work together, and indie dudes can always be found in the studio collaborating with each other. It’s very casual. Out here in FL, things seem a lot more glossy. The studio sessions are bigger, and so are the money factors involved. As far as my transition, it was natural for me. I have never considered myself regional, and always tried to push my music towards different sounds. I love them both, and I’m blessed to have experienced both. I think it has helped me tremendously.

KJ: I’m pretty impressed with your accomplishment in the music business – I also know how tough it is to make a name for yourself when you have so many producers/artists in the industry right now along with the struggles of hip hop. How did you adjust to the changes in music today?

Antagonist: I think there’s 2 sides to that coin K- On one side the industry is very tight right now. With the economy, and music sharing, artists aren’t getting the deals that they used to. So you really have to stand out. On the flip side, the Internet has revolutionized the independent music market. You can now spread worldwide WITHOUT a major label’s backing. So ultimately I think it’s a good thing. My goal was to spread my name internationally on my own, and the current state of things, is allowing me to do that.

KJ: Tell us about the name, Antagonist - where did it come from or how did it come about?

Antagonist: LOL that seems to be the question du’jour lately. Let’s just say it’s a combo of the attitude I projected when I was younger. lol It’s transformed through the years though, as I try to Antagonize the best performance out of myself and others I work with by any means possible.

KJ: I checked out several of your tracks online and I did research on my own – one thing I noticed is that you have several mixtapes and/or tracks out there. You made some pretty good connections in the business – do you feel that mixtapes are the best way for young artists to get in the game and/or what would you recommend to unsigned artists starting out in the music industry?

Antagonist: Yeah my dude, just this year I already have put out 100+ tracks on the street and it’s only April. I feel mixtapes are great for an artist to gain exposure. The key though is a relentless grind. I’ve been doing this thing for YEARS. I’ve had so many doors shut in my face, and had so many foul experiences, that I often felt like throwing in the towel. But I never gave up. I just busted my ass to improve my songwriting and artistry in general, and vowed to work harder than the next guy. I think up and coming artists need to realize that the “Overnight Success” story is a dream, and that behind every platinum artist was years of hustling, grinding, and working.

KJ: You have a unique style and floetry – floetry is what I call awesome lyrics with excellent skills. How would you consider your style? In a few words how could you sum it up for us?

Antagonist: I’m humbled by that comment, and I appreciate the words K. I just do me. My style is pure emotional music. You can listen to any track I’ve ever made and immediately know what I was feeling or thinking about at the time. I don’t try and hide myself, I just try and portray my life on tracks. I feel that’s how you truly allow the fans to relate to you and your music.
KJ: Let’s talk about “International” – You teamed up with one of UK’s top producers, DJ Ames. From producer to producer how has your experience been working with Ames?

Antagonist: Ames is a real dude. We linked up and he believed in the movement. I’ve always respected his hustle, so it was a perfect combo. Especially since I wanted to push further into the overseas market after the success of my first disk “CaliFlorida”. The folks in Europe really seem to relate to my music, and Ames helped me set that off. We have already lined up another project, and look to drop it in Mid June to set the summer off right.

KJ: From what I understand you are expecting big things from this International release of this album – what are some of your goals and expectations of this upcoming release overseas?

Antagonist: Well to clarify, “International” dropped on April 8th, so all you folks who haven’t got it yet, go download it asap. My goal with this disk is to continue spreading the name further around the world, and make the movement even bigger. I took a lot of chances on this disk, and didn’t hold back on any concept I wanted to explore. The initial response has been nothing but positive. It’s great to know that the things I’m trying to give to the world, are being accepted in high regard.

KJ: Tell me about the upcoming release What can we expect?

Antagonist: Well the next disk I’m going to do with Ames is in the earliest stages of production. As I said it’ll drop in June. Already there are some serious HEATERS in production. I am going to build upon what I did on “International” and try and make something even greater. With it releasing at the beginning of summer, fans can expect a lively, upbeat feel. It’s going to be the soundtrack for Summer 2009 worldwide.

KJ: What do you think people that know you, would say about you to someone that does not know you?

Antagonist: I’d like to believe they would say, “Ant is a real person, and a hard worker that’s dedicated to expanding his talents and perfecting his art.”

KJ: I have produced and performed on the West Coast for five years and I know the music industry out there is very unique and the style is something like nothing out there and it takes a determined artist to even get a chance. How do you feel having this strong West Coast background has propelled you to the next level?

Antagonist: The west coast, and especially Northern California where I started out, have always been an independent haven. Folks out there have always taken chances and pushed hip hop. Look at Dre and the G-Funk era, look at Too Short and how he brought sex in the game, Look at E-40 and the slang he gave the world, not to mention bringing the West and South together. I just think the West has made me not afraid to take chances in my music.

KJ: For a few years now, the industry has been saying that most rappers are lacking real lyrics and they strive on the club bangers, as well as the “catchy cliché” hooks. So they most have often asked, “What happened to the real lyricist?” How do you respond to that question? Do you think the industry is depending on catchy clichés, club bangers?

Antagonist: That’s a difficult question. I believe that Pop Radio has succumbed to Catchy Cliche’s and hooks, but I always believe that true lyrics will never die. Artists who have substance behind them are the ones who last and have longevity. Whereas those with catchy hooks/cliche’s and dances disappear.

KJ: absolutely, the true lyricist survive and don’t worry about that.

Antagonist: I really think dudes like Jay Z, Wayne, Lloyd Banks have proven there is still a place for lyrics.

KJ: Absolutely, If you had one thing to change about the music industry – what would that one thing be and why?

Antagonist: I would give more to the artists who sweat blood for these labels. I would also make it more accessible for people with true talent. Unfortunately lately I’ve seen a lot of instances where it’s who you know, and how much money you can spread around. There’s a lot of talented cats out there who could be huge, if they just had the promotional budget like the majors. Although these wishes do seem to be coming true, with the way the Internet and digital distribution is taking over.
KJ: Ant is has been a good one man, but before I let you go – what would you tell my readers and fans to expect from you in the future and where can they find your music?

Antagonist: K- It’s been trill my dude. I appreciate the support of Today with KJ. I also want to say that I commend your live chat way of interviewing. I think it’s very intuitive, and I wouldn’t doubt to see many others coppin your style. For the future from Antagonist, you can expect my quest for world-wide domination to continue to move forward. I’m going to keep making real music, for real people. Get ready for the new mixtape with DJ Ames in June, and an Antagonist LP to drop on iTunes just following it. In the meantime, fans can download all of my mixtapes at http://califloridaproductions.blogspot.com they can hit me on www.mrantagonist.com, www.twitter.com/mr_antagonist, and the CaliFlorida Productions & Antagonist FaceBook Group. My direct email is califloridaproductions@gmail.com PS All artists out there who need beats, I got you with the major sound for an indie price. I like to help the folks comin up!

Antagonist: Oh Yeah and subscribe to the YouTube Channel: CaliFlorida Productions right now!!!!!

KJ: Last but not the least, how do you respond to the media when they say, “Hip Hop is Dead?”

Antagonist: Hip Hop will never be dead, it’s just taken on many different forms. If you think its dead, listen to my disks, or come to one of my shows. You’ll see it alive and well!!!

KJ: LOL…that’s what I’m talking about!

Antagonist: Trill

KJ: It will never die the industry is to strong and talented artists like yourself will never let that happen!

Antagonist: You know it. Thanks for recognizing the movement KJ. I wish you much success with the site in the future. I’ll be back when the next disk drops 4 sho!

KJ: And I’m always gonna stay real with Hip Hop! It’s been real man and thanks for your time…

Antagonist: The pleasure is mine my dude.

KJ: Anytime…I got ya back! 100

No comments:

Post a Comment